Why Buy a Used Electric Vehicle? | Toronto, ON
If you’ve been on the fence about getting an electric vehicle and you’re not sure if it will fit into your budget, consider buying a used EV instead. These affordable, yet still efficient, models offer a plethora of benefits and exclusive perks that gas-powered vehicles don’t.
The Different Types Of Electric Vehicles
Before you decide on a make and model, it’s important to understand the different kinds of electric and eco-friendly models that are available.
- Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV): These are powered solely by a battery and have no gas engine parts; they emit zero emissions.
- Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV): These are powered by a large battery and an electric motor, but also have a gas tank as well as a charging port.
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV): These low-emissions vehicles use an electric motor to help the gas-powered engine, but rely mostly on gas and cannot be charged.
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell: These are much less common and rely on a propulsion system that converts hydrogen to electricity.
Save Money In Many Ways
One of the most obvious perks of buying a used vehicle is that you’ll save on the purchase price over buying a brand-new vehicle. The same can be said for used EVs. But beyond that, you’ll save even more money with a pre-owned EV!
- No more paying for ever-changing gas prices at the pump; simply charge up — either at home or at a public station — and be on your way.
- Public charging costs significantly less than gas and there are a ton of available payment plans from various companies that offer all kinds of additional benefits.
- Maintenance costs for electric vehicles tend to be much lower than combustion engine (gas) vehicles, according to Forbes.
Avoid A Multitude Of Maintenance
Speaking of maintenance, you won’t have to worry about certain service tasks that you would with a gas-powered car. No more oil changes, worn-out belts, busted transmissions, or spark plugs will need to be considered when you visit us for service. Instead, you’ll mostly need to focus on exterior elements and some things under the hood.
The complete list of maintenance that you’ll need to be aware of will vary by the EV you choose, but you can rely on these basic needs:
- Tire tread and rotation
- Wheel alignment
- Windshield wipers and washer fluid
- Brake pads and brake fluid
- Suspension components
- Battery maintenance and replacement
Improve Your Environmental Impact
As of 2018, all newly built Ontario homes were required to support Level 2 charging via the garage or driveway. This showcases the province’s commitment to the environment. You can do the same when you purchase a used electric vehicle. These zero-emissions vehicles don’t pollute the air the way that gas-powered vehicles do with CO2. So while you’re saving money and experiencing all kinds of unique benefits, you’ll also have a clear conscience knowing that you’re helping the planet.
Experience Unique EV Perks
When you buy an electric vehicle, you get some exclusive benefits that gas-powered vehicle drivers simply don’t.
As part of the Green License Plate Program that gives you just that: a green license plate. This allows you to drive in all provincial high occupancy vehicle, or HOV, lanes — even when it’s just you in the car. Imagine your commute taking much less time just because you chose to buy a used electric vehicle! Not only that, but you’ll also get free access to high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes with any number of occupants.
The Green License Plate Program isn’t just for fully electric vehicles. Plug-in hybrids and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles also qualify. However, standard hybrids are not eligible. You can search for a full list of qualified vehicles here.
Used EV models Near Me
To learn more about the benefits of driving home a pre-owned EV, feel free to contact our team at Downtown AutoGroup in Toronto, Ontario. We can also set you up with a test drive of various eco-friendly models in our inventory so you can get firsthand experience behind the wheel.